What’s the date again? We can’t remember, but we know it’s Friday, and it’s for sure 4:20 somewhere. Add a few of these ingredients to your next grocery haul – and don’t add an extra stop at the dispensary if the lines stress you out. Full Spectrum CBD is federally legal and the best addition ever to your favorite mixed drinks.
Why Add CBD To Cocktails?
Let’s start with the basics: CBD, which stands for cannabidiol is a cannabinoid found in hemp and marijuana plants. It’s known for its anti-inflammatory, calming effects. If you have Full Spectrum CBD on hand, it has .3% THC, which also provides a healing, euphoric boost. It’s also a go-to for a lot of people who suffer from anxiety and/or depression.
There’s also some science to support the benefits of adding CBD to your favorite mixed drink: one study showed CBD can quell some of the brain-damaging (neurodegenerative) effects of drinking alcohol1. In a separate animal study, researchers discovered that CBD when ingested in the same hour as alcohol, seemed to reduce damage to the liver from oxidative stress caused by drinking2. That said, CBD won’t prevent you from being impaired while drinking, so the following recipes should be reserved for your social distance party at home.
How Will I Feel If I Mix CBD and Alcohol?
CBD is non-psychotropic, which means that it won’t get you high. If you’re using Full Spectrum CBD and you’re sensitive to THC, it might hit you a little differently. Overall though, CBD has an earthy flavor that enhances a lot of minty, herbal beverages. After one drink, you should feel calm and mellow, even blissful.
CBD White Russian
This recipe is an in-house favorite at Trilogía, inspired by “The Dude.”
- 2 oz. Kahlua
- 2 oz. vodka
- 2 oz. heavy cream
- 15 mg CBD tincture
- Fill a rocks glass with ice.
- Pour Kahlua and vodka into the glass.
- Shake (so the CBD combines with the alcohol)
- Pour heavy cream over top and serve.
CBD Mint Julep
- 2-ounces of your favorite bourbon
- 5-10 mint leaves, with an extra sprig for garnish
- 1 ounce CBD simple syrup (1 Dropper of CBD + Simple Syrup)
- 1⁄2 cup crushed ice
- Splash of water
- Muddle up the mint at the bottom of the glass
- Add in Bourbon and syrup, then ice to fill
- Top off with a splash of water and mint garnish
CBD Mezcal Margarita
- 1-ounce mezcal
- 1-ounce aquavit
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 3/4 ounce agave syrup
- 1-ounce cannabis leaf juice or your favorite green juice like celery, arugula, kale
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 15 mg CBD tincture
- cannabis leaf, edible flowers, or greens of choice, to garnish
- 1. In a shaker filled with ice, combine the mezcal, aquavit, lime juice, agave syrup, green juice, salt, and CBD tincture.
- 2. Shake, then fine strain into a lowball glass with one large ice cube.
- 3. Garnish with a cannabis leaf, edible flowers, or your favorite greens.
CBD Afterschool Special
- 1 ½ oz. Pommeau
- ½ oz. Italicus Bergamot (substitute: simple syrup)
- ½ oz. grapefruit vermouth
- ½ oz. grapefruit juice
- 12 mg CBD oil
- grapefruit (to garnish)
- Shake all ingredients except grapefruit with ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Strain and serve over ice with a grapefruit twist or wedge as garnish.
Pink Grapefruit Gin & Chronic
- 1 ½ oz gin
- 4 oz tonic water
- Pink grapefruit wedge
- 15 mg CBD *A tincture is recommended for complete dispersion, but feel free to use CBD oil as a substitute.
- Add a small amount of fresh ice to a cocktail glass.
- Pour in gin and top with tonic.
- Drop-in CBD oil or tincture and stir.
- Garnish with grapefruit wedge.
CBD Mojito Mocktail
- 2-3 fresh mint leaves
- 1 spoonful of sugar
- 1 glass of ice
- 1/2 cup lemon-lime soda
- 1/2 cup soda water
- Muddle mint by adding a spoonful of sugar, a squeeze of fresh lime, and a few fresh mint leaves to a thick-rimmed glass using either a muddler or the end of a rolling pin, then crush until the scent of mint is released
- Fill the glass with ice
- Pour ½ cup lemon-lime soda and ½ cup soda water to the glass, followed by ½ ounce of simple syrup and 1 pull of tincture (preferably glycerin-based)
- Stir to taste, adding more sugar or lime juice if desired
- Garnish with a slice of lime, a sprig of mint, and serve
Related Article: Are CBD and Hemp Oil Legal?